Orifice Flow Meter
What is an orifice meter?
An Orifice Flow Meter is a flow meter, generally used to measure the rate of flow of Liquid or Gas. It uses the principle of Differential Pressure Measurement.
This meter comprises an Orifice Plate. When the Orifice Plate is placed in a line, a differential pressure is developed across the Orifice Plate. The pressure drop across the Orifice plate is linear and is in direct proportion to the flow rate of the measured liquid or gas.
What is Orifice Meter used for?
This meter is typically used where there is a need for robustness and durability while measuring the rate of flow of liquid or gas.
Construction of an Orifice Flow Meter
In an orifice meter, there are essentially three sections. First is the Inlet Section which is a linear section of the same diameter as that of the inlet pipe, to measure the inlet pressure of the fluid or gas. The second is the Orifice Plate which is inserted between the Inlet and outlet Sections. The third is the outlet section which is similar to the Inlet section.
- Suitable for all type of Gas like Biogas, LPG, CNG, PNG, Air, Oxygen, Nitrogen etc.
- Suitable for Saturated and Superheated Steam, Condensate water, HOT water,
- Suitable for Thermic Fluid THERMINOL 55, THERMINOL 66, THERMINOL 72 WATER, THERMIA A , THERMIA B
- Data logging facility
- MOSBUT RTU with RS485 communication port
- 4-20mA Output
- Automotive industry
- Water Treatment Plants
- Oil & Gas industry
- Petrochemicals and Refineries
- Sugar Industries
- Process Industries
- They may get jammed due to unclear liquids and impurities in the gas.
- Since there is a pressure drop, it is used where a drop in pressure or head loss is permissible.
- Orifice plate life span is short due to corrosion. Also, it reflects in errors over a period of time.
- To overcome these limitations Manas recommends Thermal Mass flow meter in such cases.
- Mass Flow Measurement
- Works in low Velocity
- Online density compensation
- Supplied with DPT, RTD, PT, Orifice plate with spool and Gas flow totalizer
- No moving Parts
- During installation, no wiring connection is required, so installation is very easy
|Accuracy||±0.25% of Full Scale|
|Data logging||Approx readings: 3000 for normal logging &Approx 5500 readings for extended logging|
|Power supply||85 to 265V AC,50Hz, single phase|
|Pressure range||1 to 50 kg/cm2 (g) or Bar (g) max.-programmable|
|Flow type||Compensated/Uncompensated programmable|
|Enclosure||Al Diecast/ABS Plastic|
|Comm. Port||RS485 std., RS232 (Optional)|
|Density Compensation||Online monitoring and compensation of density|
|Dimensions WM Type||310 (L) x 160 (W) x 105 (D)|
|Dimension PM Type||Bezel-144mm (H) x 72mm (W) cutout-138mm (H) x 68mm (W)|
|For Steam Applications||Click here|
|For Gas Applications||Click here|
Comparison between Vortex Flow Meter and Orifice Flow Meter
|1.||Well established standards||Available||Not Available|
|2.||Suitability for high pressure & temperature application||Most suitable||Seal fails in majority of cases after a certain duration.|
|3.||Installation||Easy to install||Critical & expensive because of the requirement of special machined pipe lengths.|
|4.||Existing pipeline modifications for installation||No modifications are required.||Design is based on velocity & not on line size. As a result, line size at the site & selected flowmeter size may differ.|
|5.||Recalibration of transmitter||Easy & can be done in house||Has to be done on a flow-rig and hence is expensive|
|6.||Changes in Pressure, Temperature||Taken care of during density compensation||Needs to be taken care of.|
|7.||Effects on resolution due to increase inline size||No effect.||Resolution decreases with an increase in line size.|
|8.||Suitability for low-velocity measurement||Suitable||Stops the measurement.|
|9.||Durability||No moving parts and hence no wear and tear and virtually maintenance-free.||Diaphragm-based sensor and hence is prone to wear and tear.|